August 28, 2017


Q. What is your mailing address?
A. 801 E. Elk Avenue, Elizabethton, TN 37643

Q. What are your hours of operation?
A. 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday

Q. Can the Register’s office tell me if there are any liens recorded on my property?
A. No. The Register’s office does not perform title searches, which is the necessary step to take to determine if there is a lien against a particular parcel of land. You may contact a title company or an attorney to provide this service for you. However, the records of the Register’s office are open to the public and are accessible via this website or by visiting us at the above address.

Q. Can the Register of Deeds or the staff prepare or help prepare a document?
A. No. The State of Tennessee prohibits the Register’s office and staff from practicing law or from giving legal advice. You are advised to consult with an attorney for assistance.

Q. Can the Register’s office tell me who owns a particular parcel of property?
A. In accordance with the laws and statutes of the State of Tennessee, all indexes for recorded documents within the Register’s office are name based. To search by address you may contact the Carter County Assessor’s Office.

Q. How can I obtain a copy of a document?
A. Documents recorded since August 1997 may be viewed and copied from on a subscription basis. Any documents recorded can be obtained either by visiting the Register’s office in person, or by sending a written request by mail with a self-addressed stamped envelope. Information needed for copies include names of buyer/borrower or seller/lender, date of transaction or recording, and the address of the subject party. Charges for copies made at the Register’s office are $.15 per page, excluding plats which are $2.00 per page.

Q. Is there a fee for recording documents?
A. Yes, for calculations of fees please visit our pricing calculator on this website.

Q. What methods of payment are accepted by the Register’s office?
A. The Register’s office accepts checks, cashier’s checks, money orders or cash currency.

Q. Can the Register’s office provide a survey of my property?
A. In most cases, if a plat has been recorded. The Register’s office records plats of subdivisions showing lots within a development and boundary surveys. Subdivision plats, as well as plats that have land divided into lots that are less than 5 acres, must be approved by the planning and zoning department. All plats have to have the original seal and signature of the surveyor to qualify for recording.

Q. Can the Register speak to my civic group or church organization?
A. Yes. As a public official, the Register welcomes such opportunities to meet with all civic groups and church organizations. Please visit our contact link at this website or call the Register’s office at 423-542-1830 to schedule and make arrangements.

Q. Can I find bankruptcies, divorces and other court documents in the Register’s office?
A. Bankruptcies, divorces and other court documents are recorded and indexed as court decrees. However, not all court documents are filed with the Register’s office. This will vary according to the requirements within a court decree or an individual’s personal choice.